Thursday, July 01, 2004

Feathers in the Wind

Mood: sad

I went out to put some letters in the mailbox, and on the way back I noticed a large pile of feathers in my Mom's front yard, near the bird feeder. I feel bad. I feel bad because not only do I love birds, but my Mom does, as well. She's kind enough to feed them, and then Stella--or any number of other cats in the neighborhood--pick the birds off as they eat.

The problem, I think, is the fact that the bird feeder sits on the ground and is no more than three feet high; that's an effortless jump for a cat! I feel obliged to buy my Mom a new bird feeder, one that hangs from a thin metal post stuck in the ground. That would surely reduce the number of birds that get caught. When I get a little money, I will do just that!

I tried cleaning up the feathers, but it was a lost cause. I got maybe a little over half of them, anyway. The majority of them were just too small to be raked up.

Why does a well-fed cat feel the need to continue hunting? Sometimes I really don't like cats. Birds will always be my first love. (That includes Bella, a sort of bird! Hehe....) So when Stella eats a bird, it makes me mad! I wish there was some way I could punish her, but you can't really punish a cat, can you?

The next time she comes in the house, I will try keeping her in here as long as I can. But she goes a bit crazy if I don't let her out. And that, of course, drives me crazy. Any ideas?

No comments: