Friday, January 09, 2004

Unexpected Generosities

Mood: Thankful
Last ate: Eggnog?!? They still sell that stuff?

So for the fourth time, I've received an unexpected generosity. I had thought of making an entry about this before this fourth generosity, but now I HAVE to write about it.

Just when it seems like the fates keep batting me down, people keep picking me up. As you know, with all the problems I've had with my business, I am essentially broke, falling into a deeper and deeper hole, scraping my knuckles raw trying to get out of it. But every time it seemed I would get back on track, something else would come along to knock me down. Most recently, all of my web sites including my business one (which, by the way, is my only means of income right now) were down. And this was AFTER I had just sent out a bunch of sales letters advertising my business. (I can only hope that I didn't lose too many prospects because of it.)

But along came the first generosity: Bella offered to pay not only for my past due balance on my web site hosting, but also for a class to teach me some of the industry-standard programs that I currently don't have access to. I hate the thought of her lending me money, but I am going to pay back every last penny... period! She is too kind....

The second generosity came from my best friend, Joey. He gave me a gift card to Best Buy for a ridiculously high amount that not only allowed me to add time to my prepaid cellphone, but also made it possible to thank Bella a little for all she has done for me by buying her a movie that was on her wish list. Joey is a far better friend than I deserve. I am so thankful for him.

The third generosity came from the most unlikely source: my cousin Ed. (Actually, Gran's cousin.) In addition to sending me a check for a large sum to put towards glasses (which I will need to get a driver's permit), he is also giving me leads for people that may need graphic design. And this from someone I haven't even met!

The fourth and most recent unexpected generosity came from my brother, Eric, last night. He offered to pay for a bus pass AND help with my getting glasses AND drive me around on his days off so I can look for a job. Eric has done so much for the family lately, none of us can ever repay his generosity.

With all these people being so generous, without my even asking for help, I feel a bit like George Bailey in IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE. As his guardian angel, Clarence, wrote: "Remember no man is a failure who has friends."

Atta boy, Clarence!

COMMENT

No comments: