Tuesday, July 13, 2004

The Bloodied Sock

Mood: triumphant

Doing my laundry tonight, I discovered that one of my socks from the first day of work had blood on it. Yes, I literally shed blood for this job!

Last night, I truly didn't know if I could physically take any more punishment in the form of being one of two people to sweep the thick layer of dirt from the floor of a large, grocery store-sized building. I felt like I had been whizzed in a blender with a dull blade. I was walking with great discomfort on blistered feet and overexerted muscles. But somehow, this morning I felt rested and in much less discomfort.

My attitude had changed dramatically from last night. Whereas then I felt physically broken, today I felt like a battered hockey goalie in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, ready to make the Cup-winning save with five seconds to go. And let me just tell you, I kicked some ass and made that save!

Though I can't say that the supervisor position is mine just yet, I made great leaps in that direction. After work, Frank, the District Manager, talked to me and said that he's noticed my "conscientious work". He expressed concerns about my not having a car, but assured me that would not factor in his decision. I'm hopeful.

I need that supervisor position. I figured it would mean no less than an additional $40 per month. (Yes, I know that's not a lot to most people. But it is to me!)

Anyway, I have to do a logo design and finish my laundry before getting to bed. And though I feel a million times better than I did last night, I can feel myself starting to crash....