Friday, April 23, 2004

Pull My Finger... I Mean, Tooth!

Mood: Relieved

Going into the dentist office on Wednesday, I had two scenarios in my mind:
  1. In my fantasies, I imagined the tooth popping right out with no pain involved.

  2. In my worst nightmares, I imagined the process being extremely painful and bloody, requiring the use of a very large needle, taking over an hour, and resulting in my being left in a worthless, swollen shadow of my former self.

Well, I am glad to say that the operation was practically the fantasy I had hoped for. The operation itself took less than five minutes. The local anesthetic was a longer process than the surgery itself! It did involve a needle, though much smaller than in my worst-case scenario. The tooth, after breaking once, popped right out on the second attempt. And I only experienced the discomfort as if someone was pressing on my jaw extremely hard.

I guess because the procedure was so quick, I never really experienced any swelling. Bella insisted on making me use an ice bag, anyway, as I was instructed to do on the care sheet. (She's a smart cookie!) And I've only had minor discomfort since the surgery. But I did--and still do, to a degree--feel wiped out and weak. Occasionally I have felt nauseous, but I think that was due to the taste of blood in my mouth.

So, to sum it up, it went very smoothly and I am feeling fairly good.

Oh, and let's not forget Bella! She took such good care of me. I have never felt so loved in my life! She is the most fantastic person I know. I don't know what I would have done if I didn't have her.

But I don't have to wonder....

No comments: