Thursday, October 16, 2003

Catholicism

Mood: Philosopher
Weight: ???
Last ate: TWO Servings of Malt-O-Meal

So I joined a Catholic Yahoo Group to find answers to some of my questions about the religion. Here is a fragment of someone's post plus my reply:

> Back to your question though, I do have a couple I would like to ask
> you. First, if you do not believe there is one true church around,
> would you ever consider joining all the churches at once? If not,
> what would be the determining factor for you in choosing any one
> church out of a pool of several, if truth does not play a role in the
> decision?

Thank you for your reply. Though I believe there is one Truth, there is no way any of us can know what that is. So while I think it is appropriate to take a particular belief system as one's Truth, I think it is disrespectful and illogical to assume everyone else is wrong.

Right about now, you're probably asking yourself what logic has to do with religion. I think it has everything to do with religion. Even in faith there is logic. If there was no logic in faith, the faith would contradict itself to such a degree that it would be beyond belief of a reasoning mind. But then, you already seem to understand this, as you used Algebra as an analogy. :)

But I digress.... To answer your last question, I honestly have to say that my girlfriend's beliefs play a major role in my decision to even consider Catholicism. I wouldn't have given it a second thought, otherwise. But coming to know the Catholic faith through her, I have been able to look beyond anything I may see as a fault and find the good. And there is a lot of good to be found.

I have been going through some tough times recently, and I feel the two things that have helped me most are my girlfriend and reconnecting with God through the church. I find myself praying more frequently and on a more regular basis. As a result, I feel stronger and more capable of doing what is right. It is for these reasons that I am drawn specifically to the Catholic church.

Obviously it would be impossible to join all churches at once. But the closest thing to that, I guess, would be to become Unitarian Universalist, which is something I considered before I started attending church with my girlfriend. But honestly I know very little about it.

Sincerely,

Greg Short

COMMENT

No comments: